The NanoSAFE graduate fellowship program at WVU supports Ph.D. graduate students from under-represented classes in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) disciplines to increase STEM diversity at WVU and ensure lifetime career success through comprehensive career training. Each year, approximately six graduate students will receive a $27,000 fellowship stipend for research in bionanotechnology that support the NanoSAFE Interdisciplinary Research Teams or Seed projects.
Some of these exciting research programs include:
- Rapid, field deployable DNA fingerprinting for human and pathogen identification
- Miniature ultrasensitive toxin and other environmental hazard sensors that do not rely on large laboratory equipment
- Devices that quickly determine damage to cell functionality
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Enrolled as a full time graduate student in a WVU STEM PhD program
- Must be pursuing research with a NanoSAFE Interdisciplinary Research Team or Seed Project
Fellows will receive fundamental training in:
- Interdisciplinary research and technical communication (Fall Seminar: PHYS 796)
- Ethics in bio-nanotechnology (Spring online course: C&I 639)
- Professional conduct and professional development
- Science Entrepreneurship Essentials
The program includes a team-building component that provides experiences useful in learning how to achieve team success. These activities include: real-world problem solving, community and peer mentoring, social events and workshops.
Student responsibilities during the duration of their fellowship (1 year) include:
- Full time enrollment in your respective PhD program and completion of other departmental requirements
- Enrollment and participation in the Fall and Spring courses (renewals are not required to take the Spring course for a 2nd time)
- Participation in workshops and activities made available to you, including training involving diversity, professional development, community outreach/service.
- Attend an orientation session
- Respond in a timely manner (within one week) to requests for surveys and information by the NanoSAFE office
- Quarterly reports indicating your research progress
- Other responsibilities will be included in the offer letter if an offer is made.