WVU Research Centers
For information on creating WVU centers, institutes, or related units, click here.
West Virginia University Centers
- Center for Excellence in STEM Education's mission is to develop, identify and test best practices that will broaden participation, as well as improve teaching and learning in STEM fields, thereby developing a strong pipeline for STEM professionals and a scientifically literate public. The Center also seeks to promote activities that improve STEM education in West Virginia K-16.
- Center for Neuroscience's mission is to advance knowledge in basic and translational neuroscience through team-based interdisciplinary research. The center integrates all neuroscience research activities across a collaborative enterprise of 40 laboratories throughout the WVU campus. The center also serves as the hub of activity across a broad array of neuroscience research topics to serve the entire state of West Virginia through translational research programs such as the stroke initiative.
- Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center's mission is to address the very high West Virginia cancer mortality rate. The Center has enhanced the ability of WVU physicians to manage advanced and complex diseases more successfully and with fewer side effects for patients.
- National Research Center for Coal and Energy works closely with WVU faculty members to coordinate large-scale, multidisciplinary research and outreach programs that result in cleaner, more efficient, more affordable ways to produce and use energy, protect land and water, and promote economic vitality. The NRCCE works with more than 100 WVU faculty members and research professionals to conduct programs in: Fuel and Power, Energy Efficiency, Environmental Remediation, Alternative Transportation Fuels, and Rural Water Infrastructure.
- West Virginia Clinical and Translational Science Institute is an academic home and a catalyst for clinical and translational research that targets cancer, cardiovascular-stroke, and obesity related diseases. WVCTSI partner institutions include the Clinical & Translational Science Award (CTSA) institutions at University of Kentucky, Ohio State University, and Indiana University. The WVCTSI utilizes innovative recruitment, training, and mentoring strategies to develop clinical and translational scientists at each of the WVCTSI institutions
WVU Center for Gravitational Waves and Cosmology
Researchers use electromagnetic and gravitational wave observatories in order to understand the most fundamental processes responsible for galaxy formation and evolution and the physical laws of our universe.
WVU Energy Institute
The WVU Energy Institute’s mission is to coordinate and promote University-wide energy research in engineering, science, technology, and policy. The WVU Energy Institute’s research efforts emphasize fossil energy (coal, oil, natural gas), sustainable energy (biomass, geothermal, wind, solar), energy and environmental policy, and environmental stewardship (protecting air and water resources).
WVU Institute of Water Science and Security
The Institute of Water Security & Science’s mission is to develop sustainable solutions addressing contemporary water quality and quantity problems, while strengthening West Virginia’s water security, and environmental, economic, social and cultural well-being, and broadening West Virginia University’s water stewardship impact and prominence nationally and globally.
- Appalachian Hardwood Center
- Blanchette Rockefeller Neurosciences Institute
- Bureau of Business & Economic Research
- Center for Advanced Imaging
- Center for Alternative Fuels Engines and Emissions
- Center for Cardiovascular and Respiratory Sciences
- Center for Energy and Sustainable Development
- Center for Free Enterprise
- Center for Identification Technology Research
- Clean Energy Research Center – Advanced Coal Technology Consortium
- Constructed Facilities Center
- CPASS Russell "Bud" Bolton Ethics Center
- CPASS Center for Applied Coaching and Sport Science
- Industrial Assessment Center
- Injury Control Research Center (ICRC)
- International Center for Performance Excellence
- Natural Resource Analysis Center
- Prevention Research Center
- Regional Research Institute
- Renewable Materials and Bioenergy Research Center
- Research Center on Violence
- Small Farm Center
- Stuart M. and Joyce N. Robbins Center for Global Business and Strategy
- Vision Research Center at the WVU Eye Institute
- West Virginia Water Research Institute
- World Music Performance Center