For information on creating centers, institutes, or related units at WVU, see Creating a Center at WVU.
West Virginia University Centers
The Humanities Center at West Virginia University will cultivate critical humanistic inquiry, fostering collaborative, interdisciplinary, and publicly accessible scholarship and teaching to benefit the common good of the university, the state, and the world.
West Virginia Clinical and Translational Science Institute
The West Virginia Clinical and Translational Science Institute (WVCTSI) is an academic home and a catalyst for clinical and translational research that targets priority health areas including addiction and resulting emerging epidemics (such as hepatitis C), cancer, cardiovascular disease, and chronic lung disease.
WVU Cancer Institute
The WVU Cancer Institute's mission is to address the very high West Virginia cancer mortality rate. The Center has enhanced the ability of WVU physicians to manage advanced and complex diseases more successfully and with fewer side effects for patients.
WVU Center for Excellence in STEM Education
The Center for Excellence in STEM Education’s mission is to develop, identify and test best practices that will broaden participation, as well as improve teaching and learning in STEM fields, thereby developing a strong pipeline for STEM professionals and a scientifically literate public. The Center also seeks to promote activities that improve STEM education in West Virginia K-16.
WVU Center for Innovation in Gas Research and Utilization
The WVU Center for Innovation in Gas Research and Utilization conducts research in the gas, oil and chemical fields. Our research includes broad areas that cover catalysis, reaction engineering, material science, power generation and gas turbines. We aim to stimulate the economic well-being in both West Virginia and across the globe through technical innovation, knowledge creation and educational excellence.
WVU Center for Gravitational Waves and Cosmology
Researchers use electromagnetic and gravitational wave observatories in order to understand the most fundamental processes responsible for galaxy formation and evolution and the physical laws of our universe.
WVU Energy Institute
The WVU Energy Institute’s mission is to coordinate and promote University-wide energy research in engineering, science, technology, and policy. The WVU Energy Institute’s research efforts emphasize fossil energy (coal, oil, natural gas), sustainable energy (biomass, geothermal, wind, solar), energy and environmental policy, and environmental stewardship (protecting air and water resources).
WVU Institute of Water Security and Science
The Institute of Water Security & Science’s mission is to develop sustainable solutions addressing contemporary water quality and quantity problems, while strengthening West Virginia’s water security, and environmental, economic, social and cultural well-being, and broadening West Virginia University’s water stewardship impact and prominence nationally and globally.
- WVU Rockefeller Neurosciences Institute The Institute will spearhead efforts to develop innovative solutions for West Virginians and those across the world with neurological and psychiatric conditions ranging from Alzheimer’s to Parkinson’s; autism to stroke; and paralysis to chronic pain, addictions, and traumatic brain injury.
- Appalachian Hardwood Center
Biometrics & Identification Innovation Center
- Bureau of Business & Economic Research
Center for ActiveWV
- Center for Advanced Imaging
- Center for Alternative Fuels Engines and Emissions
Center for Applied Coaching and Sport Sciences
- Center for Energy and Sustainable Development
- Center for Free Enterprise
- Center for the Future of Land-Grant Education
- Clean Energy Research Center – Advanced Coal Technology Consortium
- Constructed Facilities Center
- CPASS Russell "Bud" Bolton Ethics Center
- Digital Publishing Institute
- Health Research Center
- Industrial Assessment Center
- Injury Control Research Center (ICRC)
- International Center for Performance Excellence
- National Research Center for Coal and Energy
- Natural Resource Analysis Center
- Office of Health Services Research
- Prevention Research Center
- Regional Research Institute
- Renewable Materials and Bioenergy Research Center
- Research Center on Violence
- Small Farm Center
- Stuart M. and Joyce N. Robbins Center for Global Business and Strategy
- Vision Research Center at the WVU Eye Institute
- West Virginia Water Research Institute