Department of Defense
The Department of Defense supports fundamental and applied research through its branch agencies.
Department of Energy
The U.S. Department of Energy supports research and development through various programs.
National Institutes of Health
NIH is the largest public funder of biomedical research in the world.
Parent announcements (For Unsolicited or Investigator-Initiated Applications) are broad funding opportunity announcements allowing applicants to submit investigator-initiated applications for specific activity codes. They are open for up to 3 years and use standard due dates.
Program Announcements are funding opportunities issued by one or more Institutes and Centers to highlight areas of scientific interest.
Requests for Applications are funding opportunities issued by one or more Institute or Center to highlight well-defined areas of scientific interest to accomplish specific program objectives.
- Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Data Informed, Place-Based Community-Engaged Research to Advance Health Equity
- Technical Assistance Webinars for RFA-NS-24-029 Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Intermediate Patient Population Expanded Access (U01 Clinical Trial Required)"
- Notice of Correction to the Assistance Listing Number(s) for RFA-OD-23-017 "Tobacco Regulatory Science (R01 Clinical Trial Optional)"
- Innovative Molecular and Cellular Analysis Technologies for Basic and Clinical Cancer Research (R61 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- Innovative Biospecimen Science Technologies for Basic and Clinical Cancer Research (R61 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
National Science Foundation
NSF funds ~12,000 competitive awards for research, education and training each year.
- Formal Methods in the Field (FMitF)
- Dear Colleague Letter: Build a Resilient Planet
- Dear Colleague Letter: Global Centers Program Competition
- Dear Colleague Letter: Request for Information on Technologies to Enable Observations in Remote-Extreme Environments
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for NSF Trailblazer Engineering Impact Award (TRAILBLAZER) Program
Federal Agency Funding
Government Agencies with potential funding opportunities:
- Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Institute of Museum and Library Sciences (IMLS)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
- National Endowment of the Arts (NEA)
- National Endowment of the Humanities (NEH)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Other Grant-Making Agencies and Offices (via grants.gov)
- Small Business Administration (SBA)
- Social Security Administration (SSA)
- U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC)
- U.S. Department of Defense (DOD)
- U.S. Department of Education (ED)
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI)
- U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ)
- U.S. Department of Labor (DOL)
- U.S. Department of State (DOS)
- U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)
- U.S. Department of the Treasury (TREAS)
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- USDA grants